Hello everyone! For the past few weeks we have been trying HelloFresh. Companies, like this one, have grown in popularity recently, so I’ve been wanting to try one and of course share with you what I thought about it! If you aren’t familiar with how HelloFresh works checkout their website. However, the gist of it is that they send you a box full of all of the ingredients you need to make a few recipes each week. The only ingredients that you need to provide yourself are salt, pepper, sugar, and oil. You can pick the Classic, Family, or Veggie plan. Each are about $10 per meal per person.
Recipes we tried: (** = favorite)
- Soy-Marinated Steak with Peanut Sauce and Crispy Broccoli
- Fun-Day Fajita Bar
- Gussied up Grits
- One-Pan Pesto Tortelloni Bake with Asparagus and Parmesan**
- Spanish-Style Cod with Chickpeas over Zucchini and Arugula
- Cherry-Drizzled Pork Chops with Couscous Salad
- Sweet Italian Sausages and Blistered Tomatoes over Cheesy Kale Polenta
- Speedy Springtime Pasta
- Penne with Sausage, Corn, and Zucchini
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Tartines with Lemon Pepper Ricotta and a Potato Hash (tartines weren’t my favorite, however, the potato hash was really good!) **
- Mario Batali’s Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes, Chorizo, and Basil
- Italian Sausage and Veggie Skewers over Cheesy Herbed Orzo **
As you can see we tried quite a few recipes! All of them were pretty good. I can’t say that any were absolutely the best most outstanding thing that I had ever tasted, but none of them were horrible. All were pretty tasty! Especially the Tortelloni Bake, the crispy of the topping was fantastic!
- Each recipe comes with nutrition info 🙂 (As a dietitian, you know that I was happy about this! All of them were pretty good; around 500-700 calories each serving – more info can be found on their website, including allergy info).
- Step-by-step picture directions (super easy to follow!)
- Creative, a lot of them I wouldn’t think of myself!
- Easy, not very complicated recipes.
- They send you everything, pre-measured, and labeled.
- The ingredients are actually fresh! (I was really impressed by this!)
- Well-packaged (includes ice packs, they put the meat on the bottom separated out so it doesn’t leak on the fresh items, and each recipe has its on box with everything you need).
- We ordered for two people and it was enough for the three of us (for some of the dishes, like the pastas, we just had to add a bit more pasta that we already had on hand).
Here are some photos of the all of the ingredients laid out so that you get an idea:
- Their website was a bit hard to use, I found the app to be much easier.
- Don’t offer a plan for only one person, however, you could order it for two and then stretch each recipes out for two meals (don’t offer a three person meal plan either).
- None of the tastes absolutely wowed me (all got a good rating though!)
It was honestly really nice to come home, grab the box, grab the directions and just get going. I don’t know about you, but in my family by the time we all get home, catch up about the day, and then start thinking about dinner plans it gets to be about 8 o’clock at night. It was awesome to not have to think after a long day; everything was already thought out for you! It was also pretty fun to cook the recipes together (my dad got really into it haha) and then critique them and rate our favorites.
We have stopped our order for now, but plan to pick it back up again in the fall/winter when fresh ingredients aren’t as readily available in our area.
Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think (I don’t think that you will be disappointed)!
(**These are my honest opinions; I received no compensation for my comments**)