This weekend I decided to try a little experiment. Recently, I bought an acorn squash at a farmer’s market because I’ve never tried one before. I looked up a bunch of recipes on Pinterest, but there were so many and a lot of them required meat and you all know I’m not the biggest meat eater. So, I decided to create my own acorn squash recipe and it turned out wonderful! I had a lot of fun creating my own recipe and making it up as I went along. Don’t worry, I remembered to write down all of my steps so that I can share them with you! I hope that you enjoy the recipe as much as I did 🙂
1 acorn squash
1 cup quinoa (follow the cooking directions on box, you will have a lot left over but you can save it for later!)
1/2 cup walnuts, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Cut squash in half (be really careful, it’s a little tricky!) and scoop out the seeds.
3. Place face down in a pan, bake in oven for 40 minutes.
4. While squash is baking prepare quinoa (follow the directions on the box).
5. Dice apple and walnuts, mix with cooked quinoa.
6. After squash is done baking, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on each half.
7. Divide quinoa mixture evenly between each half.
8. Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar on each.
9. Place in oven upright for another 15 minutes.
(Recipe serves 2)
Bonus, this recipe is high in potassium, protein, and fiber!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think 🙂