Happy belated Easter everybody!! And happy Earth Day to you as well! I hope that you all had as wonderful of an Easter as I did. I got to go home to visit with some family and had a blast! For my family’s Easter dinner my mom and I brought a salad and a dessert. We made a “Citrus Salad” and a “Peep Sunflower Cake”.
This salad recipe is super easy and really delicious! It’s the perfect salad to get you in a springy mood (I know I am ready for some warmer weather)! I also love the colors of this salad, all of the ingredients together create a beautiful dish.
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup tangerine balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped green onion
1 bag spring mix (spinach would work really well with this salad as well)
3 clementines (peeled)
3 kiwis (peeled and sliced)
¼ cup Pistachios (shelled)
- In a glass jar, mix the orange juice, tangerine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and green onion. Close the lid tightly and shake until well blended.
- In a large bowl mix the spring mix and dressing until well combined. Then mix in the clementines, kiwis, and pistachios.
- Enjoy 🙂
- Orange Juice – Good source of Potassium. Potassium helps to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Dark Leafy Greens – Contains Folic Acid which helps the body form red blood cells.
- Clementines and Kiwi – Good sources of Vitamin C. This vitamin helps with the growth and repair of body tissues, healing cuts and wounds, and maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Kiwi – Contains Vitamin E. Vitamin E serves as an antioxidant in the body.
Lastly, what is Easter without having some peeps! My mom and I made a “Peep Sunflower Cake” for dessert. All you have to do is bake and ice a cake, then arrange peeps around the outer edge (Hint: Do not separate the peeps!), and add some chocolate chips to the center. Here’s the finished product:
[Nutrition information was found on the MyPlate website and in some of my Nutrition textbooks]
[Nutritional values determined by the recipe calculator on Sparkpeople.com]